Extending Kent County Sanitary District No. 1
This page details the process of extending the current sanitary district. To see the current sanitary district map check out the Adobe Acrobat file below:
Current Sewer Map
Legal requirements and fees for extending the sanitary district can be found in Chapter 128 (Fees), Articles III and V of the Kent County Code. Additional requirements can also be found in Chapter 180 (Sanitary Standards), Article III of the Kent County Code. The current edition of this code can be obtained on the Kent County home page.
The extension process follows a seven step approach:
1. Once a decision has been made to seek an extension of the sewer district, the person(s) making the decision shall contact the Kent County Engineering office at 302-744-2430.
2. A technical feasibility study is then prepared at the expense of the requester.
3. The extension is then mapped and a request to extend the system is placed on the Sewer Advisory Board (SAB) agenda. The SAB meets the first Wednesday of each month in Room 212 of the Kent County Administrative Complex.
4. The SAB may take testimony, if desired, reviews the recommendations of the Kent County Engineering Office and makes a recommendation for consideration by the Kent County Levy Court or rejects the recommendation. If an extension is rejected, the requester may go directly to Levy Court or modify the proposal and return to the SAB for reconsideration.
5. The Kent County Levy Court will schedule a public hearing for consideration of the request. The public hearing usually occurs two weeks after introduction of the extension request.
6. At the public hearing, pro and con testimony is taken regarding the extension. The Levy Court weighs the testimony and taking into consideration the wishes of the citizens of Kent County either approves or rejects the extension request.
7. After approval, the Current sewer map is modified to reflect the approved sewer district extensions.
Current Extension Request Maps
The current extension requests being considered by Kent County Levy Court are provided below: